Friday, April 10, 2009

Change is everywhere

1. Bermuda has changed.
Before leaving home this morning Chad said in a text message that I shall call a cab as the buses were not running still. Luckily for him, he was offered a ride to town by a local. I was hoping to get the same - a free ride - so I waited for awhile at the bus stop. A van stopped by and the good driver invited me in. Inside were two old ladies who appear to be "picked up" as well. So I got in and off we went.

The old ladies were talking about old Bermuda. How people in cars used to offer rides to those waiting at bus stops, if they are all going to the same area. They said, this rarely happens nowadays. And that they commend our good driver for showing that there are still people living up to the old Bermuda way.

And these ladies were right. Things changed here. Jorge, one of my officemates, was offered a ride by a local, too. Only, it cost him $6. All of them who were picked up were charged by their driver. And their trip was not continuous as the driver stopped by the hospital area to wait for more "hitchers".

2. Working hours have changed.
Since last week, my teammates leave the office no later than 7PM. With this week being our reporting week to the client, no later than 7PM is pretty early. Supervisor Scottie (who used to be the earliest comer and the latest goer) now arrives every morning almost exactly on time (10AM) and leaves right before we all do. When asked, he said, that's the new office culture. I'd love that if it's true!

3. The landlord has changed.
Summer is almost here. Last Sunday was a fine day for swimming and since Chad is not much into beach water, we could have enjoyed the pool here in our apartment. Only if it was clean for swimming. But the Landlord has not been cleaning it for sometime now. To add to the tall grasses, busted water pump and walkway lights. I have not seen him visit in a number of weeks; contrary to almost twice a week visits when he and his family first bought the apartments from our previous landlords.

3. I am changing.
I wish I could say I have changed. But I am still working on it.

Tonight, I turned the office lights off. Meaning, I was the last person to go out. Considering I was one of those who got there early, I am not doing very good in trying - trying to stop being very task-oriented. To the point of working like there's no tomorrow (or the next working day). I always want to get things done. To the point of forgetting what my real priorities are.

I realized a few months ago that my being very task-oriented does not always work for my benefit. And that's the reason I have to learn how and when to stop. To keep in mind my priorities... which are not necessarily my tasks.

I was asked by my manager if I am working tomorrow. I could not believe I heard me burst "it's Good Friday for God's sake!". I explained to her that it is my Lenten sacrifice - to not work while I want to. She thought I was being funny. Guess she does not know me enough.

See, I am changing.

----------------------
Good or bad, change is everywhere. How's it been there for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Bermuda
I got a new laptop as a Christmas gift so I thought about sharing my thoughts over the net. I must say I have been wanting to do this for sometime... this free resource just made me want to do this more! =) I am an overseas worker whose home is on the other side of the planet. I have not gone home since I arrived here. Hopefully by the end of this year, I will get to share with you my first homecoming experience. I hope you enjoy reading... and I could not go without saying, THANKS for dropping by. :)

Am I excited or what?


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Free Hit Counters