Saturday, February 7, 2009

I rested... so should you!

The past week has been really tiring at work. Not that it justifies anything, including not writing at all since last week. I got home at night much later than the usual 'cause I had to do some overtime. My co-workers said this is usually the case until March since we're accounting for the year-end and it's the audit season. So they say, I better brace myself.

Truly, when I get to the office last Saturday, it was almost like a regular day; just missing a few people in their desks.

It was a good thing I was privileged to attend a party (a birthday and leaving party in one) . I had fun and I was able to rest (especially my hands) and forget those piles of folders I still left at my desk. Certainly, I could not discount the benefits of rest (and a good laugh).

Which brings me to my point --- did I take too long for my intro? Well, sorry, I guess I missed sharing hehehe --- Sometimes, we just need some rest.

I used to work with a company which highlights the importance of human energy. While I stayed there for a short six months, I certainly enjoyed working there and I realized how good it is for a company to really implement prioritization of human energy. Doing so includes providing employees with time to rest.

Our workstations back then were designed to fit each individual's needs. We used to have rest breaks and micro pause breaks, which is necessary for accountants to avoid repetitive strain injury. We had activities that would promote health and welfare of employees.

When I started working here in the island, I really missed my workstation from that company. Good thing there are organizations which could help us out. Google repetitive strain injury (RSI) to learn more. You might also want to download the software that would freeze your computer for you to have breaks at work. Try Workrave; works for me. You can customize it depending on your needs. Just remember, discipline is necessary if you want your hands to be healthy and well-rested for that matter.

So no matter what you do, make it a habit to find something which would keep you healthy. And "rest" should always be in the picture. My co-worker nailed it when he said earlier: No health, no wealth. How true!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Bermuda
I got a new laptop as a Christmas gift so I thought about sharing my thoughts over the net. I must say I have been wanting to do this for sometime... this free resource just made me want to do this more! =) I am an overseas worker whose home is on the other side of the planet. I have not gone home since I arrived here. Hopefully by the end of this year, I will get to share with you my first homecoming experience. I hope you enjoy reading... and I could not go without saying, THANKS for dropping by. :)

Am I excited or what?


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Free Hit Counters