Saturday, January 31, 2009

OFW of an OFW


OFW - Overseas Filipino Worker... a person of the Philippine origin who lives outside the Philippines for work, either on a temporary status or a more permanent one. Most OFWs, like myself, have their own OFW... Oh Fine World.

Oh Fine World! Not great, yet not bad. Just fine. It could not be great being far from home and from loved ones. Yet it would not be bad while earning more than what one would back home. And there's much more bitter-sweet stuff about being an overseas worker.

Back home, we used to celebrate each member of the family's birthday. Either we go out or have pizza and pasta at home, together as a family. But this year, on my Mom's birthday, they eat out (without me of course) and I just greeted my mom over the net (thanks to Yahoo and Skype!)

We did the same last CHRISTmas, and new year's eve... and on various occasions... with family... with friends... all of them I miss so much!

Ask me about my first new year's eve here... it was fireworks less; it was very windy that night that the local government canceled all fireworks display in the island. For someone who used to live in Bulacan, where most fireworks in the Philippines are made and sold, and where every new year's eve is pretty happily noisy, that was just so different, and yes, disappointing!

But my oh fine world is not totally disappointing... like my last birthday, it was a blast! And I would say I am lucky that my boyfriend also works and live here in the island, so I am not without a "family" at all. Not to mention that at work, I got my own "family"- -We are five Filipinos in the office who would meet up beyond working hours or during weekends to get together for a movie night (in a theater or at home), videoke night, or some food trip (the latter, we are trying to avoid, as everyone's diet's affected, much to our dismay!). And Bermuda is just beautiful! You know that I always liked trees, and there's quite a lot of greens here, almost as much as the blues (the ocean and the sky).

So while an OFW's OFW couldn't be great, it could be fine... or more than fine, depending on how one handles it - normally on how homesickness is dealt with. I remember this friend who celebrated the last yuletide eating with his family. Not physically, but over the net. He took a leave from office (due to time difference) and ate his Noche Buena and Media Noche while his family are having theirs back home. He even took time to "decorate" the CHRISTmas tree with his niece! (thanks again to Yahoo and Skype!)

Oh well, life could not be perfect I guess... there are always trade-offs we have to deal with. Making the most out of what we have is what matters.

(Now I'm thinking if I should change my title... 'cause that last sentence applies to all... may one be an OFW or not.) ;-D

1 comment:

  1. Hi!! Your blog are very nice and more info. I hope follow my blog and please click my google ads.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Bermuda
I got a new laptop as a Christmas gift so I thought about sharing my thoughts over the net. I must say I have been wanting to do this for sometime... this free resource just made me want to do this more! =) I am an overseas worker whose home is on the other side of the planet. I have not gone home since I arrived here. Hopefully by the end of this year, I will get to share with you my first homecoming experience. I hope you enjoy reading... and I could not go without saying, THANKS for dropping by. :)

Am I excited or what?


Make your own Countdown Clocks

Free Hit Counters